Monday, June 9, 2008

Be Yourself

Be yourself. That's such a common message these days. Generally the idea is that you don't want to conform to the mindset of the crowd, the majority, the popular people; to have your own identity and be okay with, or even proud about, it. And I'm not saying that is entirely a bad thing, except for the pride part. But...if you take it for face value, just read the phrase with absolutely no context, it comes across a little differently. "Be yourself." Well, personally, my self is an ugly thing. I have no pride in it. If I was to always be myself, I would be a short-tempered, merciless, sharp-tongued beast with no friends and no hope. That makes the saying sound awfully grim.
I'm NOT saying we SHOULD conform to the world. Um, no. There's kind of two different topics in that one phrase. I'm addressing the fact that in and of ourselves, we are hopeless. We have our talents and abilities that makes everyone unique. And we should hold onto those, and use them, but take no pride in them because they don't redeem our wretched selves. What I AM saying is that we need to not be ourselves, not be okay with what we are, because we are utterly sinful. We shouldn't strive to better ourselves for our own benefit either. Rather, we should be like lumps of soft clay that are pliable and formable so our Maker can use us and make us into what we should be - people whose purpose is to bring Him glory. I love Romans 12:2 - "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
I hope all my ramblings are a little bit understandable and that they edify you in some way. =D

2 comments:

Colin said...

Sadly, that is a popular sentiment these days. In his book Letters to a Young Conservative, Dinesh D'Souza wrote this:

"I am the product of a Jesuit education, and one of my Jesuit teachers liked to say that 'be yourself' is absolutely the worst counsel you can give some people. He's right: This is not the kind of advice you want to give to Charles Manson or Hitler."

I would add to his rather short list "myself and all other sinful human beings".

Thanks for the post, Emily.

Daniel said...

I know I'm happiest when I'm the least like myself and the most like Christ.