Thursday, December 2, 2010

Trains

The other day, I was thinking about color - how many different colors and shades of colors there are, how different colors evoke different moods and memories, and how nice it is that we don't live in a black and white world. How boring would that be??
But even though the range of colors that humans have recreated is astounding, how many more colors is God capable of creating? I bet the number is somewhere pretty close to infinity. If you hold up any number of leaves from different plants next to each other, I bet you couldn't find any two that were exactly the same shade of green. The sky's blue isn't the same every day. The number of different colors on flowers and animals is probably near uncountable. Why would God bother to paint our world in such wondrous hues? He could have left it black and white. Seems pretty clear to me that it's an expression of His love for us - and also evidence of His glory and praiseworthiness.
Thinking about color led me to think about eyes, how we perceive color, and how I would venture to guess that no two sets of irises are exactly alike. Eye color is amazing - it's no wonder eyes are fascinating when everyone's are different. Then there's the function of the eyeball. Our pupils widen and contract involuntarily depending on the amount of light they take in. We've all heard this a million times, but if you stop and think about it - it's incredible! Most of us don't understand much about a camera, except that it has a lens and it takes pictures. But even cameras, with all their high-tech settings and program capabilities, can't match the superior design of the eye. While the camera lens position has to be manually adjusted to zoom in or out and focus, the eye lens not only does this automatically, it does it by adjusting the SIZE of the lens.
I don't know about you, but I think that's really cool. And that's not even considering the fact that we see things UPSIDE DOWN, and then our brain takes the images that we're streaming to it for about 16 hours straight every day, and flips them around so fast that we never see anything upside down.
I have a question. How does anyone in their right minds possibly believe in evolution? How can matter that came from who knows where create life that has the capability to evolve into the complex, rational being that man is today? Man is more intelligent than matter, and still no one has been able to prove or figure out how this is possible. I respect people who are evolutionists, especially those who have well-reasoned arguments, but I don't understand.
This is not what I planned to blog on today, but it's probably better than whatever it was I thought I was going to say. I love trains of thought like this - they lead me to a deeper appreciation for God's creation and a deeper sense of humility as I realize, by His grace, that there is no way that I deserve to be loved by a God this great.
All glory, honor, power, and adoration be unto Him forever and ever!!

"For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." - Psalm 139:13&14

2 comments:

Ben said...

God is amazing! Isn't it fascinating that he creates everyone as he intended, yet everyone is different? And that this brings him glory? Extraordinary.

Great post.

And I don't know why, but I felt obligated to answer your rhetorical question about people believing in evolution. I know you know the answer, but (as you know) the fact is, people who believe a life process without God do not have "right minds".

Romans 12:2
Romans 1:21-25, 28, 6:1-4, 8:6

God save those that do not exalt you as creator, founder and sustainer!

Emily said...

Good point. Poor wording on my part, I guess. Their eyes have been blinded to the truth that I see so easily, everywhere around me, because for reasons unknown to me God chose to rescue me from my blindness!! For this reason I have no room to boast, because I know that He chose me and not the other way around.
It breaks my heart to listen to people who are so opposed to Him that they concoct the most outrageous theories simply to avoid admitting that there is a Higher Being, an all-powerful Creator. Oh that He would remove the scales from their eyes!
It is fascinating. I love thinking about it - it's absolutely mind blowing.