Saturday, November 7, 2009

There is no I in team

It's one of the most exhilarating feelings in the world, in my humble opinion, to accomplish something as a team. It's one thing to succeed in something on your own ( and that's a good feeling in its own right) but entirely another to achieve something that's greater than anything you could ever do, much less do well, alone. I have been privileged to experience this feeling in several different ways with different groups of people in the not-too-distant past. After not playing a team sport for five years, I honestly did forget some of the advantages and joys of being part of a team. But last year my school started a volleyball team, and it has been amazing to practice and play with a group of girls all working toward a single objective: to glorify God through sports. The first year we never really won, but this year we were 12 to 4 in the regular season and in the championship tournament we beat our toughest opponent when we most needed to and went on to play in the championship game. It was an amazingly unforgettable experience.
I've also been able to participate in the youth band twice this year, and that's been fun as well as memorable. For me there's really no self-glorification in being on a stage singing or playing - not to make me sound really humble or anything because I'm so not. But to be helping to lead people in worship of our God who is so much more powerful, awesome, glorious, and deserving of our praise than we could ever begin to imagine...that in itself is a humbling experience. Some friends of mine and I started a chapel band for school this year. We sang 'Open the Eyes of My Heart' in three different languages, and I had chills running up and down my spine. It sounded almost erethreal and it was absolutely incredible. It served as a vivid reminder that God uses not just our talents but also our weaknesses for His glory. No single person in our group was the most amazing singer, but together, we lifted up a joyous noise unto the Lord.
All this is to say that these are some of my experiences with the body of Christ in action. We are truly a motley crew, some more talented or capable than others, but together, and with the help of the Holy Spirit, we can achieve great things for His kingdom and His glorification here on earth. And it is both humbling and inspiring and there is quite possibly no better feeling in the world than knowing that you, in all your weakness and sin and shortcomings, are a very small but necessary, unique part of the body of believers in a very big God. In my very humble opinion.
(And to close, I'd just like to note that while there is no I in team, there is an EAM [my initials :P])


- Posted from my iPod :)

3 comments:

Ben said...

Very good post. I especially liked what you said about the worship of our savior.

Great post! It is always good to remember we are always on God's team.

Colin said...

Good points, Em. What's your middle name?

Emily said...

Thanks :) my middle name is Anna.