Friday, July 9, 2010

More Thoughts

I'm working on more conference post(s) but I was struck today with this train of thought, not unlike my previous one a while back.

How many times a day do I miss an opportunity to bless someone, be it with a simple smile or "hello" or compliment or encouragement? I come in contact with people every day, even if it's just my family. How often do I impact people negatively instead of positively, attacking instead of defending, criticizing when I should be uplifting? It's my natural tendency to be sarcastic and mean. It's much harder to be loving and supportive.

I think sometimes that I go out of my way NOT to say hello and ask someone how they're doing. It's a simple gesture but who knows what difference it could make if I did it, instead of just passing by? How many people would see the light of Christ in my life if only I was a friendlier person?

Not that I'm some great benefactress who would be loved and respected if only I bothered to recognize those below me. Of course not. What I am is a child of the Living God who is loved much more than I could ever imagine and certainly ever deserve, and I should extend love to those around me out of the abundance that I have been given rather than ignore them, as if I am above them, which I am most definitely not.

I pray that God would continue to soften my heart not only to Him but also to the people He has placed in my life, that He would give me His eyes to see them as He does, precious in His sight and just as in need of encouragement as I am.

2 comments:

Ben said...

An excellent issue to ponder. Thanks for doing this post. God has let me see the pride in my own heart when I don't bless others or even don't acknowledge others by not greeting them and just stick to my comfort zone. Both the other person and I sort of lose out.

But this post is evidence of God's grace in you that you could at all recognize your need for his work in you to desire to get beyond your comfort and see Christ. And your humility in posting this as well.

Praise the Lord for who he is, and that he does not leave us and he never has and never will. Praise the Lord.

Emily said...

Amen.
I'm beginning to see (only by God's grace, I'm sure) that living in my comfort zone is a waste of time. It's comfortable, to be sure, but it's absolutely boring. And while challenge isn't always desirable, it is most certainly beneficial as my faith is stretched and tested and strengthened in the end.