Thursday, July 29, 2010

How Marvelous

We are nothing.

When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have set in place, what is man that You are mindful of him, the son of man that You care for him?
-Psalm 8:3&4

Show me, o Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before You. Each man's life is but a breath.
-Psalm 39:4&5

All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field. The grass withers and the flowers fall, because the breath of the Lord blows on them. Surely the people are grass.
-Isaiah 40:6&7

Surely the nations are like a drop in a bucket; they are regarded as dust on the scales...Before Him all the nations are regarded as nothing; they are regarded by Him as worthless and less than nothing.
-Isaiah 40:15&17

He is everything.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
-Genesis 1:1&2

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and it's people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. He brings princes to naught and reduces the rulers of this world to nothing. No sooner are they planted, no sooner are they sown, no sooner do they take root in the ground, than He blows on them and they wither, and a whirlwind sweeps them away like chaff. "To whom will you compare Me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One. "Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of His great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing."
-Isaiah 40:22-26

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."
-Isaiah 55:8&9

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable His judgments, and His paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been His counselor? Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Amen.
-Romans 11:33-36

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.
-2 Peter 3:8

And yet He cares for us.

For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am tearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be.
-Psalm 139:13-16

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
-Jeremiah 29:11

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
-Matthew 10:29-31

Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
-Romans 5:7&8

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.
-1 Peter 2:9

Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.
-1 Peter 5:7

How great is our God.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Hmmm. It is SO awe-inspiring to ponder the Greatness, Majesty, and Mystery of our God.

How amazing it is that He has called us children of God? -Lord, thank you for calling me to come and behold your glorious mystery!

"Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." -Hebrews 4:14-16

Thanks for the great post, Emily! Very encouraging!

Emily said...

You're welcome. That was probably one of the best I-could-be-sleeping-but-I'd-rather-be-doing-this-instead hours I've ever spent.
Thanks for your comment. That's a great passage.
There are so many incredible, thought-provoking verses I could have used but those were what I came up with in the short time I spent dIgging.
It is amazing, and awe-inspiring, and humbling, and I pray that I never cease to glory in the magnitude of His great love and the wondrous gift of salvation.