Monday, July 5, 2010

Behold our God

So I just got home from Together 2010 literally like ten minutes ago, and I'm still reeling...in the best way possible. Over the course of the past two and a half days I have spent over ten hours worshiping and listening to sessions on the greatness of God. It's evidence of God's grace right there that not only was I not opposed to sitting for that many hours, I WANTED to. Now it's a little hard to come back down to earth and come to grips with reality again. At the moment everything seems so...insignificant. All I want to do is worship. But for some reason it seems harder to do that on my own than in a room full of what, like eight hundred people? All raising their voices together to create what might possibly be one of the most beautiful sounds on earth. It's hard too to translate the principles and truths Dr. Ware taught on during the sessions into everyday life. It's easier to digest deep spiritual truths in an almost ethereal setting like the conference, where a body of believers from multiple churches and more than one state has come together to fellowship. It's harder when I get home and I have chores and mundane daily tasks and siblings to deal with. But God is the same God now as He was while I was in San Diego. He is still mercifully holy, self-sufficient, indescribably loving, and sovereign over all. And I can worship Him regardless of where I am. That in itself is amazing. I can worship - I can approach the King of kings and Lord of lords in my lowly state of less than nothingness. I can bring my requests and petitions before Him and He will ALWAYS extend His scepter to me, and never condemn me for daring to enter into His presence. He is always with me - us - and we have a promised inheritance as sons of God. And I - we - did absolutely NOTHING to deserve any of the blessings He has so lavishly showered upon us. It's tempting to think that I'm something sometimes, but just the briefest glimpse at my heart reveals how deeply sinful - how absolutely, utterly wretched I am and I see, not even to the fullest extent but at least somewhat, how very little I have to commend myself. I have nothing, in fact. And yet I have been CALLED. I have been CHOSEN. I was PREDESTINED to be a child of God, to be welcomed into the Most High's family as a daughter of the living God! How spectacular is that? I did nothing and I have gained everything. Where's the justice in that? Especially considering that God's only Son Jesus took all the wrath that I deserved and absorbed it in Himself so that I might have life. And have it to the fullest. How is it that this becomes so commonplace and trivial so easily? It's...tragic. I know that I lose my admiration and wonder for this, the greatest of all love stories, far too quickly. I need to be reminded so often - like every five minutes - and this conference was a powerful reminder that I pray will have a long-term impact on me.
There's so much more I could and want to say, and maybe I will eventually, but this is turning into a scatterbrained novel so I'm going to stop now. After this.

I once was lost in darkest night
Yet thought I knew the way
The sin that promised joy and life
Had led me to the grave

I had no hope that You would own a rebel to Your will
And if You had not loved me first
I would refuse You still

But as I ran my hell-bound race
Indifferent to the cross
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross
And I beheld God's love displayed
You suffered in my place
You bore the wrath reserved for me
Now all I know is grace

Hallelujah!
All I have is Christ
Hallelujah!
Jesus is my life

Now Lord I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could NEVER come from me

Oh Father use my ransomed life
In any way You choose
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You

Hallelujah!
All I have is Christ
Hallelujah!
Jesus IS MY LIFE.

PS: I still need better adjectives...but when it comes to God, no human terms, regardless of language, will ever be sufficient. I don't know if that's supposed to be an excuse or what but I wanted to say it. I'm really done now.

- Posted from my iPod :)

3 comments:

Ben said...

Very well said. God is so amazing!

Ben said...

Amen. Oh, that I would always see that truly, All I have is Christ.

I don't remember what I said exactly from my first comment that has disappeared, but saying that All I have is Christ is probably better.

Emily said...

I love how that simple statement pretty much sums up everything that is important in life. And it's also the reason we have life.

It's really weird that your comment disappeared...now it says there's two comments but when I click on it only one shows up. But at least your second one worked.

Thanks for commenting. :)